With the number of new websites increasing on a daily basis, it becomes a little challenging to find the right hosting plan. For a business, it is important to decide whether shared or dedicated hosting would be a good choice. This decision will be made depending on a number of IT factors. Another option that has grown over the years is colocation web hosting.
What is it all about?
In nonprofessional terms, it means placing your server machine on a provider’s rack. This way you own the hardware but you receive more bandwidth from the provider. Once you have your machine ready to go, you need to transfer your server machine to the provider’s location. They will provide you with an IP address, power, and bandwidth to your server. After these steps are completed, it’s just like having any other web hosting plan. The major difference being that you own the hardware.
Who Should Choose Colocation Hosting?
Large companies have their own IT departments and even the infrastructure to host their own web servers. This comes in handy as they can provide power and bandwidth for all their Internet requirements. Smaller companies cannot afford such amenities. This is where colocation hosting plays an important role. Simply investing in the hardware and software is very economical, as you will be renting a provider’s rack. This makes colocation hosting a better choice as compared to shared hosting.
The benefits of choosing this specialized hosting plan…
- Security: A colocation host offers clients a lot of security with respect to their servers. Keeping your hardware in a secure location that is not in your organization is a good way to ensure maximum security. Colocation providers realize that their clients have a lot of sensitive data on their servers. That’s why, round the clock surveillance is in place so that no mishaps can take place.
- Bandwidth and Up-Time: This is the biggest advantage of colocation hosting. Companies end up saving a lot of money as they receive higher bandwidth at reduced rates. Colocation providers always use highly optimized Internet connections, thus ensuring that clients’ servers are always live. Multiple Internet service providers are used so that there is always quick connection to the web. Many shared hosting providers promise 99.9% uptime but never keep to their word. Colocation providers are much more efficient.
- Cost: Most small companies think twice before selecting colocation hosting. This is mainly because it is much more expensive than a shared hosting plan. However, if you are looking at a long-term investment, then colocation is a great idea. While the initial investment is large, you will be receiving state-of-the art services that will come in handy in the end.
- Flexibility: With a shared hosting plan, you cannot decide on the server specifications that your company requires. You will have to make do with what the provider has to offer. This issue is done away with when you’ve signed up for a colocation hosting plan. Personal configurations for your server pose no problem and you can set up a machine depending on your needs. This is a huge benefit that many companies eye while choosing colocation service.
- Zero Power Issues: If you have your server set up in your small office, then a power cut could see your servers die out for quite some time. Sometimes, a backup plan doesn’t work, as well. You will not have to worry about this once your server is placed off-site, in a location that is server-friendly.
Choosing the right provider…
It might be a little tough to find the perfect colocation host. Always ensure that the provider is not too far away from your office. It will be even better if they can provide you with remote access to your server. Don’t forget to enquire about the bandwidth carriers the provider has tie-ups with. Don’t choose a company that has just one or two carriers on board.
Co-locating your server is a smart move to make when you don’t want to spend too much on IT infrastructure. This is an issue that a lot of small companies face. Colocation hosting allows you to deal with all your IT needs without any hassle.