When you are looking to create a personal blog, you tend to consider platforms like WordPress, Blogger, etc. However, if you are looking at versatility, Tumblr just might be an excellent option. Though the blogging site is an excellent platform for various niches, it can also be an excellent place to build traffic and it can be a powerful time-saver. Many make the mistake of dismissing Tumblr as a micro-blogging website, but it is an influential platform and a good place to get established. Here are a few benefits:
- It is one of the most convenient sites. You can make use of the IM submissions, bookmarklets, phone postings, mobile apps and other features top post content. It is not necessary for you to be at home and post content. You can post easily and on-the-go on the website.
- You can personalize your blog. You can choose a theme and customize it using various options. For example, you can add advertisements, your personal domain name, etc.
- It offers one of the most comprehensive hosted solutions. It can be extremely reliable and can withstand mass traffic spikes.
- It can offer a built-in community. It has built-in networking features you can make use of to attract native audience.
- One of the biggest benefits is that the membership is absolutely free. This means you don’t have to pay for any features or tools.
Tumblr is a great blogging platform for the following niches:
- Photography: With its various convenient options, it is an ideal platform for a photography blog. You can load photos on the go and also through your Flickr account.
- Link blogs: When compared to Twitter, Tumblr is a great site to create link blogs and it is more flexible. It also has more features than the social networking site.
- Micro blogging: It is an excellent place to post short content. If you want to post quotes, phrases or any content under 100 words, this is the blogging platform to use.
- Audio and video blogs: The platform is compatible for embedded audio and video. It provides a blogging home page for YouTube videos.
Creating a Group Blog Using Tumblr:
One of the biggest benefits of the site is it offers a built-in community. This means you can easily create your own group. Here are the steps to create a group:
- Step 1: You cannot create a group or multi-user blog using your primary account. To create a group, you have to create secondary accounts. To do this, click on the ‘My Blogs’ icon.
- Step 2: A drop-down menu appears. Choose the ‘Create a new blog’ option.
- Step 3: You will be taken to the blog creation page. Enter a relevant title and a sub domain name to activate your secondary account. You can also protect the account using a password. However, if you have password protection in place, only those who know the password will be able access the account.
- Step 4: Once you create the account, you have to add members to the group. To do this, go back to My Blog again and click on the secondary account you just created. There will be an option called ‘Members’ on the right side. Click on the option.
- Step 5: You can send e-mails to those who you wish to take in as members. You can send mails to non-registered members as well. However, they have to sign up to become a member.
This is a simple way to create a community with common interests. When you add users to your blog, they will be enlisted as your members. A member can only post content on the group’s dash board. However, you can upgrade him to admin so that he can edit the content posted on the group. This is a convenient option when you cannot monitor the group around-the-clock. When you are not available, the admin team can monitor and make changes to the content posted. Your group can never become your main blog and vice versa. When all your members including your admin leave the blog, it will be deleted by default. Create a group and share your interests with your members!