WordPress commenced as a simple blogging system and has come a long way since then. Today, it involves a well-defined management structure along with use of a host of plugins, varied widgets, various themes and the like.
However, success does rest on the right theme for the WordPress site and detailed contemplation is required in this regard. Users will do well to follow certain bits of advice from experts in the selection of the right theme and need to concentrate on the following points:
- The theme should relate to a particular industry – This is the most relevant point that needs to be taken into account when deciding on a theme. Users should select a theme that correlated to their particular area of business, activity or industry. Political bloggers would need a specific theme while sports and travel bloggers will need themes and logos according to their forte.
- Simplicity is the key to success – Intricate logos and complicated themes are not necessarily highly successful. There are plenty of free themes available but one needs to select the theme that offers enhanced functionality which can be modified on request and which does not involve an elaborate and confusing makeup.
- Ensure optimum browser compatibility – For a theme to be successful, it must be browser compatible. Besides being compatible to one browser, it also needs to be compatible across browsers. Internet Explorer is now being ditched by most technical designers and though there are still a large number of users of Internet Explorer, the other choices of browsers are also out there for users to experiment with.
- Determine the purpose –What exactly is the purpose for your site? Is it a magazine, blog, e-commerce site, review site or a new website, etc? The themes selected will be dictated by this premise, which needs to be borne in mind when shopping around for a WordPress theme. Trade, trade name and WordPress theme should match for optimum advantage.
- Take stringent stock of terms and conditions of service – Be it a free or a commercial WordPress theme, there are certain terms and conditions involved where service is concerned. If a free WordPress theme will need to be supported with a host of back links, then users are requested to tread with caution. There are plenty of such free themes, which do not come with any string attached, and users can pick any of the same.
- Ensure total responsiveness – If a WordPress theme is responsive to both desktops and the latest of mobile devices and smartphones, then your business is on the road to success. In the coming years, smartphone and mobile device users will far outnumber users of desktop internet and hence it is necessary to ensure responsiveness to both devices but more importantly to the latter.
Users should ensure that WordPress themes have:
- Cross browser compatibility – It is necessary to ensure that themes show up significantly on Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome, etc.
- Minimum loading time – Slow websites are a thing of the past. For a website to be effective, fast and efficient, super fast loading time is the need of the hour. Some themes are slow as they involve enhanced graphics and diagrams and this considerably slows down loading time. Users of today are always in a hurry and there is no greater deterrent than a slow website.
- Effective navigation menu – An ill maintained navigation menu is a sure shot way to steer viewers away from your site. The menu should be simple in design, pleasing to the eye and information should be direct and upfront. Menus are located either at the top of the logo, at the left or right side bar or can even exist at the lower end. Smaller websites will be able to make adjustments accordingly where horizontal menus are regarded as more feasible while more intricate websites will have to position their menu accordingly so as not to interfere with content.
WordPress themes available have a choice of color, topography, headers, backgrounds, video support and media buttons to choose from. Everyone should try and concentrate on each and every aspect before taking the final decision. Colors should match, topography should be well defined, headers should be customized according to the nature of the website, and backgrounds should be conducive while the importance of video support should not be ignored.