Content Management System (CMS) is a term that sparks a buzz in the web development industry owing to its innumerable benefits. With an effective CMS solution, you can literally turn a dull-looking website into a stunningly attractive one. Joomla is an effective CMS solution widely preferred by website owners to enhance the visibility of their websites.
What is Joomla?
It is an effective open source CMS that is preferred by millions of web developers worldwide. With this first-rate CMS solution, you can build multi-lingual websites, ecommerce sites, media portals, networking communities, blogs and a multitude of attractive online applications. The user-friendly applications, flexible templates and wide extensibility options have contributed to the rapid surge in its popularity.
How is Joomla different from commercial CMS solutions?
Unlike regular CMS services that offer different versions for varied budgets, Joomla offers you an all-inclusive version absolutely free of cost. Most commercial CMS services offer a range of modules- some up to 80 but Joomla offers more than 9000 amazing extensions! Did you know that Joomla has been downloaded more than any other CMS solution? More than a million times. Yes, the number says it all!
Joomla has a multi-faceted template that can be used for different purposes such as page layouts, website structure and design and much more. While the CMS efficiently manages the content on your website, a template influences the overall look and feel of the pages including the design. Using the Joomla templates, you can customize the content and design of your web pages easily.
Here is an overview of Joomla’s template components:
- Page layout– This template decides the page design of your Joomla site. It includes various elements such as the modules, components and plug-ins, each serving a different purpose.
- Color scheme– Using the various color schemes available with the Joomla templates, you can effortlessly embellish the texts, links and backgrounds in your web pages.
- Images and special effects– Adding special effects to images is very simple with the Joomla templates. Just access the drop-down menus and create flashy images for your web pages.
- Font– Joomla’s CSS file makes it so easy to create stunning font colors for your web pages. What’s even more interesting is that, with Joomla’s font options you can select a file of your choice (rather than the entire page) and alter its font the way you want to.
Known for its vast options, Joomla offers five main types of extensions. They are briefly described as follows:
- Components: These are the most prominent extensions of all. Majority of the components consist of two main parts: a site part and an administrator part. Each time your Joomla web page loads, these components take control of the process. The components encompass a number of menus and each menu performs a specific task to administer the page loading function.
- Modules: Every new content or image you add to your web page has to be managed by the modules. Using Joomla’s vast extension of modules, you can display the new content on your website at a desired location.
- Plugins: These are more advanced extensions; you can even call them event handlers. At every stage of the execution process, a module or component will be activated. And when that happens, the plugins are rendered with specific applications to handle the execution process of the event. One great example of a plugin triggering a module or component is when users submit an article with banned words and when your components block them.
- Templates: The templates greatly influence the overall look of the web pages in your site. They are easily customizable and convenient to use.
- Languages: These days, every web master wants to have as many languages as possible for his or her website. The language extension component from Joomla lets you incorporate multiple languages and fonts for your web content.